We view assessment as an integral part of the teaching and learning process at Bure Valley School. Our teachers regularly assess pupil’s learning throughout the school year, using both formative and summative assessment techniques to identify learner’s next steps and to help children make good progress.
Cambridge Assessment – International Education 2018
At Bure Valley we assess pupil’s understanding in the following ways:
- Teacher questioning/observations
- Pupil responses
- Feedback & marking
- Low stake testing/quizzing – related to our core knowledge
- Exit ticket questions
- Self and peer assessment
- Termly Rising Stars standardised tests in maths (PUMA), reading (PIRA), SPaG (GAPS)
- Teacher writing assessments and comparative judgements
These assessments enable us to keep parents and carers well informed about their child’s progress.
In-addition to daily and weekly informal conversations about your child(ren) we invite parents to two formal parent/carer consultations. One in the autumn term, to discuss how your child has settled into their new school year and another in the spring term to chat about how they are progressing. In the summer term we send home a written report to let you know how well your child is doing.
To find out more about the Rising Star standardised test we use please click on the link below.
Effective feedback, from teacher to pupil, gives the child information about well they are learning and how they can take their learning further.
Feedback is carried out after some form of formative or summative assessment (as detailed above). At BVS we want our feedback, written or verbal to:
- Inform the pupil what they have done well against the success criteria
- Identify areas for improvement
- Be actionable
- Praise the pupil for what they do well, effort, behaviours for learning
- Encourage and raise aspirations
- Identify and address misconceptions
- Be consistent
- Facilitate pupil critiquing and editing
- Encourage self and peer assessment
Always mindful of teacher workload, we aspire for feedback and assessment to be meaningful, manageable and motivating.